Technical Support Unit – TSU
Providing advisory services to state governments through Technical Support Units (TSUs) is a pivotal partnership model adopted by LEHS|WISH to strengthen the public primary healthcare system and deliver quality primary healthcare to the most marginalized and underserved population. This way, LEHS|WISH, integrates customized healthcare innovations and technologies into the states’ primary healthcare delivery system.
The Technical Support Unit (TSU) model commenced from the state of Madhya Pradesh, and later expanded to other states. Under this model, LEHS|WISH provides technical input and know-how to improve primary healthcare services and health outcomes. TSU generates evidence, identifies opportunities and gaps in health systems, and strategizes to address specific needs of the underserved and vulnerable population. It works toward implementing customized approaches to enhance quality, access, and availability of comprehensive primary healthcare, including RMNCH+A services, NCD, CD and improved health and behavioral practices through upscaled and strengthened HWCs. However, the model varies from state to state, depending upon the specific requirements.
LEHS|WISH commenced ‘The Technical Support Unit’ (TSU) model from Madhya Pradesh by shifting its modus operandi from implementation services to advisory support, leveraging our learning and experience from Rajasthan and Delhi. LEHS|WISH signed the MoU with the Government of Madhya Pradesh in the year 2018 and works with the National Health Mission (NHM) of the state, providing techno-managerial support in identified core areas focused on improving the health outcomes.
The model is operational across 51 districts of the state, with specific focus on the districts of Bhopal, Jabalpur and Vidisha. The model centers around three components of technical support, policy advocacy, new technology, and innovative pilots and their scale-up to achieve better RMNCH+A outcomes. Here LEHS|WISH’s technology-enabled Health and Wellness Centers (HWCs) are also operational.
Focus Areas of TSU
- Provide technical assistance to the state government in setting up and scaling the telemedicine model
- Set up technology-enabled Sanjeevani Clinics in urban areas to provide quality and accessible comprehensive primary healthcare services
- Strengthen the NCD component by deploying additional human resource
- Provide programmatic support toward Mental Health and Palliative Care
- Provide technical support to NHM on measurement and data analysis for better program management and decision making.
In Rajasthan, LEHS|WISH started as a Direct Implementation partner, and later shifted to the advisory role through its TSU. In the year 2018, the organization signed an MoU with the Government of Rajasthan to support the set up and scale-up of HWCs. Under the National Health Mission (NHM) of the state, the TSU works toward capacity-building of the state and district Health and IT officials in data analytics for effective supervision and monitoring of the HWC program.
Focus Areas of TSU
- Roll out telemedicine model (e-Sanjeevani) and support the Urban Health Mission of the state
- Strengthen the state’s HWC monitoring dashboard and management
- Roll out innovative Point of Care Devices in HWCs
Enable AYUSH Health and Wellness Centers and HWCs in collaboration with the National Health Mission (NHM).